Running a platform like Openprovider’s always creates tension between ever-extending functionality and maintaining usability. The more functions (trust me: our customers are very creative in inventing new ones!), the more menus, pages and buttons. Over the years many features were added that we know about but which are rarely found by our customers. On numerous occasions I should even rephrase this to “features that I know about”, because sometimes even my colleagues don’t know about it.
After writing down 10 tips and tricks in a previous blog post, I found that there are many more. Time for a follow-up blog post with 10 new ones! After reading until the end, you’ll have gathered some new knowledge to make your life easier and maybe you will even be able to turn this into a profitable case with your customers!
I don’t number them, as I don’t want to rank them from ‘best’ to ‘number 10’ or vice versa. The nice thing about such features is that each of them could be very valuable to a specific selection of our customers. Knowing that, who am I to judge their value?
Dealing with dozens of registries that require prepayment, we know better than anyone else that tools to monitor the available balance are crucial. Even if you only work with Openprovider, balance management is important. We send some basic reminders, but did you know about the following?
- Configure your own low balance warnings: as soon as your balance drops below a predefined level, you will receive an e-mail. You can set several watermarks, for example a “notify” at € 1.000 and an “urgent warning” at € 100.
- Look ahead in time with the costs and payment forecast. A table and a visual graph show you the expected costs on renewals for the next 12 months.
- Create your own tools by retrieving your account balance automatically through our API.
- A less technical approach is followed by many customers as well: start with a “plenty” initial deposit which is sufficient for whatever you do in a month. Then, do a new deposit every time you receive our invoice. This way you can fake post-payment and have an easier match between payments and invoices. Note that you will always need to keep a close eye on your balance to ensure your business continuity!
Your domain names and other products are valuable to you. That is why Openprovider supports several layers of security. I can write a lot about it – I already wrote a lot about it! Rather than repeating myself, I’d like to refer you to my previous blog post on this topic if you’re interested in securing your Openprovider account.
E-mail personalisation or white labeling
I cannot really call this a “hidden feature” as we’ve written about it dozens of times lately and it’s present in numerous pages within the control panel. What is it all about? It’s about formatting the e-mails that Openprovider sends to your customers exactly the way you want: in your own style, with your own words, sent from your own e-mail address. Rather than stretching this blog post to extreme lengths, allow me to point you to our blog post and webinar on this topic.
Do you want to get some insights in how attractive new gTLDs are to your customers without the need to spend time on it? Put our pre-registration widget on your own website! With just a few lines of code you present your customers a nice 2-step form in which they can express their interest in any new extension. Do you have a little bit time left? Use it to re-format the widget to your own website style through a simple CSS form!
30-day trial on SSL certificates
Unsure if an SSL certificate fits your needs? Incidentally ordered the wrong certificate? Or maybe you forgot to renew your EV certificate and urgently need protection with a quicker-issued DV certificate while the EV order is being processed? These are all examples in which it may be very useful to know that each SSL certificate can be cancelled within 30 days with a full refund of the paid amount. Just revoke it from your control panel and the money is refunded as soon as the supplier confirms the cancellation.
Custom invoice information fields
In some situations your financial department may require additional information on an invoice, in order to process it correctly. This could be a purchase order number, department information or anything else. Through the Custom invoice information fields settings you can put any information you want on the invoice as a separate note.
Find your prices
With thousands of products, 8 price tiers, 3 types of Memberships and multiple operations per product you won’t be surprised that the price scheme in Openprovider is pretty complex… For sake of speed, our complete price list contains the regular tier prices, based on new orders. Find your own, personal prices for each operation by clicking a product on this price page. Do you benefit from a Membership? Find a complete list of cost prices under the Membership menu. Do you want to retrieve your prices automatically, including the price in your own currency? Use our API!
Gathering knowledge and getting updates
Openprovider provides you with knowledge on different levels:
- We’ve gathered loads of technical information in our knowledge base. Do you have any question? Try a quick search first for the quickest answer possible!
- Keep track of our news feed, our LinkedIn, our Twitter account and our Facebook page for the latest news.
- We also maintain a special Twitter account for any maintenance messages or notifications of disruptions.
- Background information that helps you understand the market and the position of Openprovider in the market is available in our blogs.
- Our monthly webinars (every 2nd Thursday of the month, enroll through our website) provide you with an opportunity to interact with the product owners directly. All webinars are published on our YouTube channel.
Whom to contact?
With a fully-equipped team, it’s always easy to reach Openprovider by e-mail or telephone. The question is: whom to contact for which kind of questions?
- Our Sales girls are happy to help you on email@example.com and/or +31 10 4482296. They can tell you everything about pricing, discounts and opportunities, and they can help you in any consolidation project.
- Our guys and girl on Support are available for every technical question and every question regarding invoices or transactions. Call them at +31 10 4482299 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For many software packages, plugins to Openprovider exist: WHMCS (SSL and domains), WeFact, HostBill (SSL, domains and licenses), PowerPanel (built-in), Atomia (built-in), Odin Business Automation (former PBA), Plesk (built-in) and probably others as well which we are not even aware of. Use the strength of these packages to combine automation of your hosting business with the commercial advantages of Openprovider.
Is this the last tip? No way! Stay tuned for take 3 in a couple of weeks!